- High school diploma or GED and minimal experience in law enforcement, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of Basic Law Enforcement Training certification.
- Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the State of North Carolina.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Some knowledge of police methods, practices, and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the geography of the Town and location of important buildings.
- Some knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department.
- Skill in using firearms and operating a motor vehicle.
- Ability to communicate ideas effectively in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear reports.
- Ability to deal courteously, but firmly with the public.
- Ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationship with associates, medical personnel, court personnel and the general public.
This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions, frequently requires standing and sitting and occasionally requires walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, tasting or smelling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception, color perception, night vision and peripheral vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions, frequently requires exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment and occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to the risk of electrical shock and working with explosives; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).